What are some commonly overlooked pre-move arrangements I should make?
Use this helpful checklist as a reminder of the things you need to do before you move.
Book the movers:
* It’s a good idea to obtain estimates from several different companies.
* The estimate will depend on whether the movers pack everything or just the breakables, or whether you want to do the packing yourself.
If you own your present home:
* Arrange to have your gas, water, and electricity meters read on the day you leave. Have the bills forwarded to your new address.
* Have your oil tank read and filled before your sale closes and, if required, give the receipt to your legal professional.
* Arrange for the water heater and furnace rental agreements to be transferred to the purchaser.
* Disconnect your telephone, cable TV, and water softener.
If you rent your present home:
* Give your landlord written notice and make arrangements for the return of any deposits.
At your new home:
* Arrange to have gas and electricity, water softener, telephone, and cable TV connected on the day the sale closes.
* Get change-of-address cards from the post office and send them out well before moving day.
* Have the post office forward your mail to your new address.
* Cancel contracted services and pre-authorized cheques.
* Inform gardening, dry cleaning, garbage pick-up, newspapers, magazines, diaper, and other home services of your move. Arrange for service at your new address.
* Get a letter of introduction from your bank to help set up new accounts. Transfer trust or bank accounts and securities.
* Cancel or transfer social, athletic, civic, religious, or business affiliations and memberships.
* Ask your dentist, doctor, pharmacist, and optometrist to transfer medical, dental, and prescription records.
* Change the address on your driver’s license effective the day of the move.
* Collect all items out for cleaning or repair, or in storage.
* Make arrangements to move perishables, such as plants.
* Make arrangements to move your pets.
* Dispose of all flammable liquids. It is illegal for movers to carry them.
Information from Royal LePage.